Sunday, January 12, 2014

Teacher Crushes

So, I am not talking about teacher crushes like thinking Mr. Wardenburg was really cute in junior high.  I am talking about being a super fan of great teaching - the kind that makes me want to be friends for life with the person, constantly pick his or her brain and probably borders on stalkerish.  I admit I have had a few teacher crushes like this in my life - some as a student, some as an educator, and a few as a parent.  

Education is something I am super passionate about.  When wearing my school counseling hat, I believe it is important to advocate for ALL kids.  When wearing my parent hat, I want to make sure that my kids are challenged to learn and critically think rather than do crosswords and word searches.  As a student, I want to always get better and learn more.  


Hence, my list of the things I have noticed that fantastic teachers do:



1.  They care about students and have relationships with them.  This year one of my colleagues shared with me that she had conversed with a student about her mother's soup recipes and had requested to have some of them.  This is one of our very "difficult" students.  The fact this teacher had taken the time to know more about this student and her family than simply writing her off as a behavior problem, was a big deal.

2.  They have high and clear expectations of their students - they model and teach and reinforce those expectations.  Miss Nook, anyone?


3.  And they surround the kids with 360 degree support so they can meet and exceed those expectations.  Eric Jensen writes about this concept in Teaching with Poverty in Mind.  When I walked into my second grader's Fall Party this year, all of the kids were circled around another student reading aloud.  Beckett was seated at his desk, finishing some work.  His teacher was right next to him, guiding him while also working with another student and chiming in on the group discussion.  The patience and compassion I saw in her actions toward my son (who can be quite challenging!) made my heart sing.


4.  They foster a growth mindset in all kids by continuously telling and showing them that when they work hard, they will grow their brains, get smarter, and get better.  


5.  They are vulnerable - they know they do not have all the answers and are not afraid to admit it. They are humble and sometimes even self-deprecating. They always want to get better and learn more (see #4).  They are not threatened by other learners or questions or a continuous cycle of improvement.


6.  They engage learners and do not rely on worksheets to deliver content.  One of my son's teachers told us at a conference that she was "not a fan of worksheets."  He learned a great deal that year.


7.  They teach and model character.  They weave it into their classroom and their instruction.  I know of a teacher who took two days off from teaching science to work on social skills, relationships and community building because the kids needed it.


8.  They are solution finders and problem solvers instead of problem admirers or yes butters.  Bottom line.  Every time, without a doubt.  


9.  They involve families.  


10.  They like kids and are able to see strengths in every child.  Educator Rita Pierson says great teachers like every child and if there is one they do not like, the child would never know it.


11.  They are human beings.  They have bad days.  They make mistakes.  They say, "I'm sorry."  They don't wear super capes although they are totally my hero.  


Each fantastic teacher does each of the above things in a way that is uniquely his or her own.  They don't subscribe to cookie cutter ideas about what great teaching should be or what a classroom should look like.  But the common thread among these teachers is the fact that students remember them - in a way that leaves a legacy that goes way beyond years in the classroom.


Who was that teacher for you?








1 comment: